What Difference Can One Boy Make? : The Day You Stop Being a Student and Begin Becoming a Steward of the Earth
My
dearest Ayan/Saad,
Assalamu
Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.
Today,
I am not writing to you as your teacher. I am writing to you simply as your
father.
Over
the past weeks, we have travelled together through forests, rivers, mountains,
villages, cities, farms, factories, laboratories and even satellites orbiting
the Earth.
We
met earthworms hidden beneath the soil. We watched bees pollinate flowers. We
followed raindrops from the clouds to rivers and back again. We learned how
forests breathe, how cities grow, how pollution spreads, and how scientists
search for solutions.
§ You have studied
ecosystems.
§ Food chains.
§ Biodiversity.
§ Soil.
§ Water.
§ Air.
§ Agriculture.
§ Technology.
§ Climate.
§ Sustainability.
§ Artificial
Intelligence.
§ Renewable energy.
By
now, you know far more about the environment than many adults ever learn.
But
today I want to ask you one final question. Perhaps the most important question
of all.
Knowledge Is
Easy. Character Is
Difficult.
Imagine
two students.
Both
score 100 out of 100 in Environmental Applications.
One
throws plastic bottles out of the car window. Leaves lights switched on
unnecessarily. Wastes food. Cuts down trees without thought.
The
other student quietly carries a reusable water bottle. Plants trees. Repairs
broken things. Uses water carefully. Speaks politely to those who collect
waste. Protects animals.
Who
truly understood Environmental Science? Certainly
not the one with higher marks.
Knowledge becomes
meaningful only when it changes behaviour.
One Person
Cannot Change the World...
People
often say, "I'm only one
person. What difference can I make?"
I
understand why they say that.
The
Earth is enormous. Its problems seem
overwhelming.
o
Climate
change.
o
Pollution.
o
Plastic.
o
Deforestation.
o
Extinction.
It
is easy to feel powerless.
But
let me tell you a story.
The Boy and the
Beach
After
a violent storm, thousands of starfish were stranded on a beach. A young boy
began picking them up, one by one, and throwing them back into the sea.
An
elderly man smiled kindly and said, "There are thousands of them. You
cannot possibly make a difference."
The
boy picked up another starfish. Threw it into the ocean.
And
replied, "It made a difference to that one."
Whether
the story is historical or not matters less than its lesson. The world rarely
changes because one person solves every problem.
It changes because
millions of people each solve one small part.
The
Environmental Scientist's Promise
If one day you become
an engineer... Build things that
last.
If you become a
doctor... Protect public health by
caring about clean air and water.
If you become a
businessman... Remember that profit
earned by destroying creation is not true success.
If you become a
teacher... Inspire curiosity rather than
fear.
If you become a
government officer... Think about the
people who cannot speak in meetings:
·
the
forests,
·
the
rivers,
·
the
birds,
·
the
unborn generations.
Whatever profession
Allah chooses for you... Carry your
environmental values with you.
Leadership
Begins at Home
Many
people dream of addressing the United Nations.
Few
remember to switch off unnecessary lights in their own bedroom. Real leadership
begins long before anyone notices. It begins when no one is watching.
The
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ taught us that sincerity is measured
by what we do when only Allah sees us.
Environmental
responsibility is exactly the same. No applause. No cameras. No awards. Just
quiet acts of responsibility.
Imagine Two
Futures Let us travel once
more to the year 2050.
Future One
o
Cities
are hotter.
o
Water
is scarce.
o
Many
rivers are polluted.
o
Species
continue disappearing.
o
People
compete for dwindling resources.
o
Children
rarely see clear night skies.
Future Two
· Cities are greener.
· Buildings produce
their own energy.
· Rivers are cleaner.
· Forests are
expanding.
· Food is produced
sustainably.
· Technology serves
both people and nature.
· Children still hear
birds singing.
Which
future becomes reality? That depends on millions of decisions made by
ordinary people.
Including
yours!!!
Success Is Not
Measured by Salary/Money Alone
As
you grow older, many people will ask, "What
do you do?"
Some
may ask, "How
much do you earn?"
Very
few will ask, "How
much good have you done?"
Yet
I believe Allah's scales are different from ours.
ü A teacher who
inspires thousands of children.
ü A farmer who restores
degraded soil.
ü A scientist who
develops cleaner technology.
ü An entrepreneur who
reduces waste.
ü A volunteer who
protects wetlands.
Their
contributions may never appear in headlines. But
they leave the Earth better than they found it.
That
is success.
Your
Environmental Covenant
Today,
I would like you to make a promise—not to me, but to yourself.
You
may write it in your notebook. You
may revise it as you grow older.
But
let it guide you.
v I will seek knowledge
before opinions.
v I will respect
evidence and remain open to learning.
v I will never waste
Allah's blessings knowingly.
v I will leave every
place cleaner than I found it whenever I can.
v I will treat animals
with mercy and people with justice.
v I will support
technologies that benefit humanity without harming creation.
v I will remember that
future generations have rights over the Earth I use today.
This
is not an exam answer. It is a
way of living.
Faith Meets
Science
Allah
says: "Indeed, Allah commands
justice, excellence, and generosity to relatives, and He forbids immorality,
wrongdoing, and oppression." (Surah An-Nahl 16:90)
Environmental
destruction often begins when justice is forgotten. When forests are cleared
without concern for those who depend on them. When rivers are polluted because
someone else bears the cost. When future generations are ignored.
Justice
is not only about people. It is also about how we treat the trust that Allah
has placed in our hands.
A Lesson from
the Prophet ﷺ
Among
the beautiful teachings of the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ is this: "The most beloved deeds to Allah are
those that are done consistently, even if they are small." (Sahih
al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim)
Think
how encouraging this is. You do not have to solve climate change by yourself. You
do not have to plant a thousand trees tomorrow.
You
simply have to remain faithful in the small acts you can do:
· using less water,
· avoiding waste,
· helping others,
· sharing knowledge,
· protecting life.
Small
deeds, repeated over a lifetime, become a great legacy.
Think Like a
Leader
Whenever
you face a decision, ask yourself three questions:
v Is it good for me?
v Is it good for other
people?
v Is it good for
Allah's creation?
When
the answer to all three is "yes," you are probably walking the right
path.
ICSE Exam
Corner
By
now, this is less about revision and more about integration.
Review
these ideas one last time:
✔ Ecosystems
✔ Biodiversity
✔ Soil conservation
✔ Air pollution control
✔ Water conservation
✔ Sustainable development
✔ Resource efficiency
✔ Appropriate technology
✔ Environmental ethics
Remember:
Most examination questions test understanding, not memorisation.
v Whenever you answer,
try to explain why, not only what.
Your Final
Mission Before the Last Letter
I
want you to begin your own Environmental Journal.
Not
for school. Not for marks. For yourself.
Write
one page answering these questions:
- Which
topic in this series changed the way I think the most?
- What
environmental problem worries me most?
- What
profession would allow me to contribute to solving it?
- What
habits will I change starting today?
- What
kind of world do I hope my own children will inherit one day?
Keep
this page safely. Read it again
after ten years. You may be
surprised by how much you have grown.
Before I Signoff...
Ayan/Saad,
when you were born, I held you in my arms and wondered what kind of man you
would become.
ü I prayed that you
would be intelligent.
ü I prayed that you
would be healthy.
ü I prayed that you
would be kind.
Today,
after writing these letters, I realise there is one more prayer I should make.
ü I pray that knowledge
never makes you arrogant.
ü I pray that success
never makes you forget those who have less.
ü I pray that
technology never replaces your compassion.
ü I pray that your love
for Allah always guides your love for His creation.
ü And above all, I pray
that when your own children ask you, "Abbu, what did you do when the
Earth needed people to care?" you will be able to smile—not because
you were perfect, but because you were faithful.
Faithful to the trust
Allah gave you.
Faithful to the
knowledge you received.
Faithful to the small
daily choices that quietly made the world a little better.
That,
my dear son, is the difference one person can make.
May
Allah make you among those who are remembered not for the wealth they
accumulated, but for the good they left behind.
With
all my love, my endless prayers, and gratitude to Allah for the privilege of
being your Abba,
Yours
Abba
No comments:
Post a Comment